Going deep

Apologies for my face pulling here..but look at the other riders faces
 Turns out there was another main course to come. It was 97 miles out of Cayucos, across the sun blistered agricultural flatlands, into the hills and through the vineyards around Solvang. The morning was getting a little racey, and I let the crew pedal away. The peace train formed, we stopped often, and often for no reason. There was cold melon and double espressos. I was told off by an old gent as he'd had to move his car across the yellow line as we'd  crossed a bridge, he suggested changing the route. Being the best version of myself I told him I'd relay the feedback to the organisers. Lunch was in a Mexican joint, tacos and a fiendishly spicy sauce that got me slurping icey coke with abandon. A small crew went off to the dreaded Starbucks for more espressos and we set off.  Charlie got stung by a wasp and we all stopped in shock. The afternoon got intense, the cast of players shifted and then solidified into five of us climbing out of the nothingness into the trees, Chaz and Dave now up the road and impossible to catch. The sun was starting to heat the ground up and everything was shimmering. I followed Svens wheel almost crying as my sinews complained..We crossed a busy freeway and into wine country, everything was suddenly still and the light started to lower and shape the terrain. Aiden had to stop to do his shirt up and we spent 5 minutes spinning in a frenzy to reach the rest. Yes it sounds cheesy but it was one of the best best days on a bike that I can remember, with some very good people. I'm sad it's over.

Comments

Popular Posts